Can I Change How Much I Pay in Child Support? Court-Orders and Family Law

Child Support

Requesting a change in the amount of child support you pay is possible. Because child support is court-ordered, you must go before the court if you seek a reduction in the amount you pay. A judge will consider various factors that prompt such requests. Ensuring that the court understands your situation and how it affects your ability to pay support is where we can help. Contact the Pedrick Law Group online  for a free case evaluation or call our Irvine office at 949-388-8682 today.

Changes to Child Support: When the Amount Ordered Becomes Difficult

Your desire to support your child may not match your ability to pay the court ordered amount. Changes in job status and income are common factors when it comes to requesting a change in child support payment amounts.

A reduction in hours at work or a job loss can make it necessary to request a reduction in child support. A temporary lay-off is another factor that, even though it is temporary, can affect your ability to pay. 

A family law attorney can help you with your request to change how much you pay. Income is just one issue found in requests for a lower support amount. Other factors may include a change in the child’s needs or the child is spending less time with the supporting parent. 

A request to modify a child support order must have the proof necessary to convince a judge that it meets the requirements. How the judge rules depends upon your proof of why you need the modification and other factors relating to your ability to pay.

Modifying Your Child Support Order

To request a modification of your child support order, you must demonstrate a “change in circumstances.” The following types of proof are sometimes necessary for court:

  • Income and your expenses 
  • Medical insurance
  • Disability status
  • Unemployment benefits

The Pedrick Law Group can help you pursue a modification of your child support order. To do so, we must access your information as soon as possible. Quick action on your part helps us to learn more about your circumstances and how it affects your ability to pay.

Our family law attorneys understand how child support issues impact your ability to focus on daily tasks. With more than 50 years of combined experience, we can make a strong case for child support changes on your behalf.

The Pedrick Law Group understands California law and how it applies to child support issues. Presenting your case before a judge on your own is risky due to your possible emotional state. A member of our team can professionally make the case for a reduced amount of child support by proving how your life changes affected your income.  

A major life change, like that of job loss, can impact you mentally and emotionally. The thought of returning to court can stress you as you adjust to your situation. Our patient and caring staff can provide peace-of-mind during this difficult time. 

Why You Should Not Delay Action

Situations you view as temporary can develop into a permanent problem. If you delay your pursuit of reduced support payments, you may face a more difficult time with your case. 

Common factors of those who delay pursuing a reduction in child support payments include:

  • The stress of their situation makes them forget to make the request.
  • The supporting parent is incarcerated.
  • The parent becomes disabled.
  • They believe the process is easier if they wait for reduced stress or to get released from jail.
  • They dread going to court and the issue is not a top priority for them. 

Waiting to request a change in your child support payments is a bad idea. If a judge does reduce the amount of support you pay, the change takes place starting on that date. 

Parents who experienced a job loss or other issue and who delayed seeking the change, find themselves facing a financial hardship. Any child support still owed must still be paid as the reduction granted is not retroactive. 

This means that any missed payments are due at the initial support amount. Failure to pay child support can result in garnished wages and possible jail time. 

If you wish to reduce the amount of child support you pay, contact the Pedrick Law Group today. We will listen to learn more about your situation and prepare your request in a timely and compelling manner. 

The Pedrick Law Group and Child Support Payments

A court-order to pay child support is a legal order that you must not ignore. Changes in your life may necessitate changes to the amount paid. A judge may consider your request if you provide the proof necessary. 

There is no way to predict the outcome of your request. Child support is often an emotional issue between parents. You may want to pay the amount ordered yet unexpected events can make the amount unaffordable. 

The Pedrick Law Group helps parents who seek to modify their child support order. We also help parents who are contemplating divorce or who want to file for a divorce. Our family law experience includes all matters of divorce, such as alimony and the division of assets. 

Contact us online  for a free case evaluation or call our Irvine office at 949-388-8682 today. Our team is professional and friendly. We acknowledge that your situation is difficult, and we want to help you. Whether your financial situation is temporary or permanent, taking quick action is critical to your case. 

A delay in filing your case can result in late payments of the original court ordered amount. Get the help you need with a family law attorney from the Pedrick Law Group. We will work hard to get your modification request before a judge as soon as possible. We proudly serve parents in Orange County, Irvine, and the surrounding region. 

Call Now (818) 325-3934